What To Do:
For Summer Nutgrass apply Gordon’s Trimec® Nutsedge Plus Lawn Weed Killer. Use the concentrate and mix in a pump sprayer to apply lightly to nutgrass. If the Nutgrass is not dying in about 4 days, apply once more lightly.
What You'll Need:
Summer 2015 Watering Instructions
- For a green healthy lawn all Summer - your lawn needs 1.5” of water per week. If it doesn’t rain, you need to water and use a rain guage to check levels. Do not overwater! This can lead to disease.
Kentucky bluegrass, fescue and other cool season grasses do not have to be watered to stay alive in the summer except during extreme drought (but they won’t look good!). Cool season lawns turn brown and go dormant until cooler fall weather. During drought Apply one inch of water every three weeks to keep the grass crowns hydrated and in good condition or the lawn will die out.
Summer 2015 Mowing Instructions
- Mowing frequency and height directly affects the health and quality of a lawn. Mowing a lawn too short or not often enough can cause disease problems and even death to the grass.
• Never mow when grass blades are wet.
• Mowing height in June, July and August
is as high as the mower will go (or set)
for bluegrass and fescue.
• Never remove more than 1/3 of the
• There is no need to bag or rake grass clippings as long as the grass is mowed often. Short grass clippings decay quickly and re-cycle nutrients back to the soil.
• Use a different mowing pattern each mowing.
• Sharpen and balance mower blades every 10 hours of use.
Toby Quick Tip:
Use Earth Right:
Earth Right is an all natural product that feeds unhealthy soils. Thick clay or sandy soils do not allow proper drainage and make it difficult for plant roots to grow deeply.
Earth Right will turn your soil healthy over time and lead to better drainage, you’ll use less water and grass roots will grow much deeper. Apply Earth Right once in the Spring and once in the Fall.